SUNSET is the leading media brand of the Western lifestyle. Its International Wine Competition makes its winning wines part of the most influential wine program in the country. Its judges are some of the most experienced wine professionals in the West, including many Master Sommeliers and Masters of Wine. The magazine is committed to promoting its winners in ways that no other competition can.
The competition is designed to attract all wineries interested in reaching the Western wine drinker and is juried by the best judges in the industry, who understand and appreciate the Western palate and lifestyle.
Winning producers will be featured in the October release of a Wine Special non-print, digital edition with supporting microsite. Promotions for the Wine Award Special Issue will be placed in sunset.com, Sunset eNewsletters and Sunset social sites. The edition will be promoted and available for 12 months or until the 2024 Wine Competition Awards winners are announced.
Frequently Asked Questions
The judging will take place May 23rd - 25th, 2023, in Sonoma County, CA.
The deadline for entry is May 8th, 2023.
Early bird pricing extended to Friday April 28th!
*Shipments must be received by 5pm on May 10th, 2023.
No, all submissions must go through our online system for better and more accurate tracking and communication.
We will accept wine shipments until 5pm on May 10th, 2023. Please ship wines directly to:
Sunset International Wine Competition
c/o Express Wine Delivery
7970 Cameron Dr.
Windsor, CA 95492
An official entry shall consist of 4 bottles, each bottle no less than 750 ml in volume. For containers larger than 1 liter in volume, an official entry shall consist of 2 units. An official entry of wines, such as dessert wines, that are bottled only in 375ml bottles shall consist of 6 bottles, each no less than 375ml.
Winning producers will be featured in the Fall release of a Wine Special non-print, digital edition with supporting microsite. Promotions for the Wine Award Special Issue will be placed in sunset.com, Sunset eNewsletters and Sunset social sites. The edition will be promoted and available for 12 months or until the 2024 Wine Competition Awards winners are announced.
- Andre DuVigneaud, Owner / Winemaker - Bee Hunter
- Anna Marie Dos Remedios, Winemaker - Idle Hour Winery
- Carol Shelton, Owner / Winemaker - Carol Shelton Wines
- David Sundberg, Winemaker - Hans Fahden Vineyards
- David Vergari, Winemaker
- Kerry Damskey, Wine Consultant and Winemaker
- Luke Goldschmidt, Enologist - Dutton Goldfield
- Matt Reid, Winemaker - Benessere Vineyards & PWR Wines
- Miro Tcholakov *Chief Judge*, Winemaker - Miro & Trentdue
- Penny Gadd-Coster, Winemaker - Breathless Wines
- Rick Davis, Owner / Winemaker - Calstar Cellars
- Stephanie Trotter, Owner / Winemaker - Trotter 1/16, D.O.S. at Tedeschi Family Winery
Journalists / Media
- Christopher Sawyer, Wine Writer and “Sommelier to the Stars”
- Dan Berger, Wine Journalist
- Ellen Landis, Wine Writer, Certified Wine Specialist
- Larry Van Aalst, Radio Host of "The Sonoma Wine Report", CRN Digital Talk Radio
- Laura Ness, Food and Wine Writer
Trade / Education
- Ali DuVigneaud, Winery Owner - Bee Hunter
- Bekah Schloss, Wine Wall Supervisor - The Matheson
- Bridget Newcome, Wine Educator
- Cathy Vicini, Owner - Trecini
- Charles Mara, Winery Owner / Educator
- Corey Lester, Sommelier
- David Sandri, Educator
- Dawne Sacchetti, Consultant - River House Consulting
- Debbie Zachareas, Wine Expert, International Judge, and Lecturer
- Denise Gill, Educator / Consultant
- Emily Edeen, Sommelier
- Greg Richtarek, Wine & Spirits Manager
- Jai Wilson, Sommelier
- Jay Baili, Wine Judge / Educator
- Jessica Main, GM / Buyer / Sommelier
- Mary Beth Vierra, Wine & Spirits Educator, Consultant
- Rebecca Fletcher, VIP & Trade Coordinator - Raymond Vineyards
- Sunny Yang Liao, Co-founder and CEO - Vinusclub
- Traci Dutton, Educator, Sommelier, Wine & Beverage Judge - Public Wine and Beverage Studies, Culinary Institute of America
- Wilfred Wong, Chief Story Teller / Buyer / Educator