SUNSET is the leading media brand of the Western lifestyle. Its International Wine Competition makes its winning wines part of the most influential wine program in the country. Its judges are some of the most experienced wine professionals in the West, including many Master Sommeliers and Masters of Wine. The magazine is committed to promoting its winners in ways that no other competition can.
The competition is designed to attract all wineries interested in reaching the Western wine drinker and is juried by the best judges in the industry, who understand and appreciate the Western palate and lifestyle.
Winning producers will be featured in the October release of a Wine Special non-print, digital edition with supporting microsite. Promotions for the Wine Award Special Issue will be placed in sunset.com, Sunset eNewsletters and Sunset social sites. The edition will be promoted and available for 12 months or until the 2022 Wine Competition Awards winners are announced.
Reasons to Enter
Sources: 2018 MRI Doublebase. 2019 Sunset Digital Survey
Frequently Asked Questions
The judging will take place June 8 - 10 in Sonoma County, CA.
The deadline for entry and shipment is May 28th, 2021.
We will accept wine shipments from until June 1, 2021. Please ship wines directly to:
Sunset International Wine Competition
c/o Express Wine Delivery
7970 Cameron Dr.
Windsor, CA 95492
An official entry shall consist of 4 bottles, each bottle no less than 750 ml in volume. For containers larger than 1 liter in volume, an official entry shall consist of 2 units. An official entry of wines, such as dessert wines, that are bottled only in 375ml bottles shall consist of 6 bottles, each no less than 375ml.
Winning producers will be featured in the Fall release of a Wine Special non-print, digital edition with supporting microsite. Promotions for the Wine Award Special Issue will be placed in sunset.com, Sunset eNewsletters and Sunset social sites. The edition will be promoted and available for 12 months or until the 2021 Wine Competition Awards winners are announced.
- Stephanie Trotter, Trotter 1/16
- Andria Shirk, Laelaps Wines
- Carol Shelton, C Shelton Wines
- Katie Madigan, St. Francis
- Sara Fowler, Peju
- Kristen Barnhisel, J. Lohr Vineyards
- John Allbaugh, Director of Winemaking, Bronco
- Diane Wilson, Director of Winemaking Wilson Artisan Wineries
- Giovanni Balistreri
- Nick Goldschmidt
- Erik Olsen
- Miro Tcholakov
- Ziggy “The Wine Gal” Eschliman, Radio and TV Personality
- Christopher Sawyer, Sommelier and Wine Consultant
- Laura Ness, Wine Writer, Journalist, Columnist
- Mike Dunne, Wine Columnist, Publisher
- Ellen Landis, Wine Journalist, C.S., CSWd
- Bob Foster, Asst. Editor California Grapevine
- Kimberley Charles, Diploma in Wine and Spirits, Founder and Owner Charles Communications
- Traci Dutton, Beverage Manager and Sommelier, Culinary Institute of America
- Liz Thach, Ph.D., Master of Wine, Distinguished Professor of Wine & Management Sonoma State
- Renata Franzia Price, Bronco
- Larry Van Aalst, Sommelier, Host of Sonoma Wine Report
- Barry Herbst, Wine Director, Bottle Barn Liquors
- Elsie Wolfe, Sales Manager, Alcohol, Buyer, Safeway
- Chris O’Gorman, Director of Communications, Rodney Strong Wine Estates
- Kerrie Cook, Wine Educator, Sommelier
- Todd Jolly, Buyer Sonoma’s Best
- Curtis Mann, Director Wine, Beer & Spirits, Buyer Raley’s Fine Foods
- Chris Richards, Director, Bricoleur Vineyards
- David Sandri, WSET Certified-Advanced
- Cathy Vicini, Proprietor Tricini Winery
- Spreti Valente, Senior Buyer, Anne’s Boutique Wine Club
- Ken Landis, Chef Consultant, Landis Shores
- Mark Chandler, CSW, Owner Chandler & Company
- Oliver Kohn, Buyer Draeger’s Market
- Josh Kirchhoff, Buyer Bounty Hunter, Napa
- Bill Hayes, Head Buyer, Beverages and More
- Jasper Russo, Director of Wine Education, Sales & Marketing, Sigel’s Fine Wines, Twin Liquors
- Wilfred Wong, Chief Storyteller, Wine.com
- Denise Gill